Join SONIC Research Group as a Software Developer and collaborate with a diverse team of social and computer scientists in developing semantic web based collaboration recommendation systems grounded in the latest research in social network theories and methods. Get involved in all stages of the effort, starting from the initial planning stages, through coding, testing, documentation, and publishing. The Software Developer will collaborate with a diverse team to develop social networking capabilities utilizing semantic web technologies. The incumbent must be able to collaborate well with non-programming researchers. This is a one-year position with opportunity for renewal dependent on available funding.
- Under general supervision, develops semantic web capabilities advancing ongoing development of semantic web recommendation systems;
- Writes/maintains software documentation; Analyzes and troubleshoots complex software problems and provides solutions to overcome these problems;
- Collaborates with non-programming researchers in domains including social sciences, organizational sciences, life sciences, and engineering;
- Other Duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related field is required for Software developer position. Alternative degree/fields will be considered if accompanied by equivalent experience;
- Extensive experience and expertise in Semantic Web and RDF software and technologies;
- Extensive experience working with SPARQL;
- Excellent interpersonal (including oral and written communications) skills.
- Experience working with SQL;
- Expertise in Java;
- Experience deploying and supporting software in a Linux environment;
- Ability to assimilate new knowledge quickly;
- Ability to work with a diverse group;
- Capable of working independently in a dynamic environment;
- Ability to be flexible in project scheduling to meet changing priorities;
- Ability to prioritize importance of workload and initiating problem solving;
- Experience with a testing framework such as JUNIT or equivalent;
- Experience in Servlet/JSP and other server side technologies.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
How to Apply?
Click on the “Academic/Administrative Jobs” link.
If you are an Internal Applicant click the Current Employee link.
If you are an External Applicant click the External Applicant link.
Once you are on the Careers Home page, please follow the below steps to view the Software Developer position:
1. Click on the “Advanced Search” link located in the Basic Job Search box.
2. Type: Software Developer into the Keywords text box.
3. Click on the Search button to view the search results.
You can also send an e-mail with your application letter and resume to Noshir Contractor.